Tai Chi Sword Maintenance And Care
Tai chi sword maintenance and care is very important, as not only dose the weapon last longer but also your feeling for the sword becomes more personal.
A well maintained and care for tai chi sword can last life times of uses which of course means it can be handed down through generations, which in turn adds pride and sentimental attachment to the weapon.
There are four types of metals used in modern sword construction and they all have different care and use properties.
The main problem with carbon steel is that it rusts. So, maintenance is really about keeping your sword blade out of contact with moisture or the air. ( easier said than done)
List Of Tai chi Sword Maintenance And Care Tips
- Use oil to lightly coat all the metal parts of the sword.
- Do not store your sword in a sheath, because moisture can form anywhere the sword contacts the sheath. ( You can oil or grease your sheath liberally, then you can store your sword in it.)
- Tai chi swords do not like humid environment, so keep swords in and inside cupboard / closet and keep them dry.
- If rust develops on your blade, you should clean it off as soon as possible, as the longer left the deeper it will penetrate.
- If you do find rust, any brass or metal cleaner will work for carbon steel. Simply dab the metal cleaner sparingly onto the affected area and using a clean cloth, carefully rub the polishing agent in circles, covering the affected area and then rub along the grain, applying steady pressure. After this, buff the blade with a clean cloth.
- Wooden handles may be treated with a light coating of lemon oil or tung oil to help prevent cracking.
- If you choose to store your sword in a sheath, then you should check on it regular basis.
- Do not touch the blade with your hands, fingers, etc. If you do then wipe the blade with a clean rag and re-oil.
- Be sure to wipe the blade with a clean, dry cloth before replacing it in the scabbard, especially after use.
- Oil your blade by using either a sword oil (recommended) or a clear leather wax. With a soft cloth, apply the oil or wax sparingly and rub along the grain of the steel, applying steady pressure until the oil becomes warm and dissipates from the friction.
Sword Cleaning Kits
There is a number of sword cleaning kits available for Tai chi sword maintenance, on the market today and they can be brought easily on line. I would recommend that you buy them as they have all that is needed to maintain and care for your Tai Chi Sword to keep it at its best for long life and performance.
Tai chi sword maintenance is all part of learning the tai chi sword, for more info on tai chi sword, use this link.
Want to keep up to date as new pages are added to this site? click on the RSS feed on the left under the navigation bar.
Back to the Tao Of Tai Chi Home page
- The Tao Of Tai Chi Blog keeps you up-to-date with all additions and changes to the Tao Of Tai Chi web site. Subscribe here.
- Tai Chi Movements
- Tai chi movements or forms activates and flows energy through the body.
- Tai Chi Chuan Styles
- Tai Chi Chuan styles are many and varied, as are the tai chi forms, still they all follow the basic principles of the tai chi movements.
- Tai Chi Chen Style
- Tai chi Chen style was the first of the Tai Chi Chuan styles. It was created, as the Ming Dynasty was about to become the Qing Dynasty in 17th century China.
- Tai Chi Yang Style
- tai chi Yang style has a moderate and easy flowing method of the makes it easily learned by the majority of people and this is why it has such a great following and has become the most popular of all the tai chi styles.
- Wu Tai Chi
- Wu Tai chi, which is also known as Hao style, Taijiquan (Tai Chi Chuan) has a set of strict requirements regarding its practice. From the external to the internal, each requirement is clearly stated.
- Sun Style Tai Chi
- Sun style tai chi is characterized by lively steps- forward or backward steps are always followed by the other foot.
- Silk Reeling Energy
- The function of silk reeling energy is to unify the body and connect the energy throughout the body with the datian so that it can reinforce movements of all parts of the body.
- Tai Chi Symbol
- Tai Chi symbol relates to the flow of the opposite energy that makes up the law of the universe.
- Tai Chi Benefits
- Tai chi benefits have been studied in more depth over the past 30 or so years, by western medicine which is of course prescribing tai chi now as a low impact exercise. Tai chi exercise reduces stress.
- Tai Chi Sword
- Tai Chi Sword, best tips and hints. At an overall length of about 3 feet, The double edged sword is A good tool to use to judge overall Tai chi proficiency
- Tai chi Sword Maintenance And Sword Care
- Tai chi sword maintenance and care, best tips on the web for caring for your sword
- sword modifying, how to make a sword
- Sword Modifying, or how to make a Tai chi sword fit just right for you. Great tips for customizing your sword
- How to balance a sword tai chi sword balance
- How to balance a sword or, a tai chi sword in particular is not as tricky as you may think.
- Tai Chi Sword Integrity
- Tai Chi Sword Integrity best tips on how to fix you sword
- Sword sharpness sharpening a sword
- Sword sharpness comes after sword balance and integrity in the order of the sword, how to.
- Tai Chi How To
- Tai chi how to is a page that answers some of those how to questions that pop up to do with tai chi. Please if you have a how to question that you would like answered use our contact us page and we will try to answer it for you.
- Great Health Links
- Here are a few great health links we have found for you on the internet. You never know when some of these great health links might come in handy. We will be adding to these links all the time so, come back to check this page out often.
- add an article to the tao of tai chi
- Like to add an article about tai chi? Do it here
- contact us
- Contact the tao of Tai chi
- Tai chi news from around the world
- Tai Chi World News, The best up to the minute breaking world tai chi news and headlines. You can even leave a comment and your opinion.